Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Envisioning "a sustainable living film festival" in Turkey

I have this vision to organize a "sustainable living film festival" here in Turkey. I believe films carry immense power to wake people up, to create awareness, and even to invite them to life affirming action. Therefore, as part of my awareness raising efforts on ecology and sustainable living here in Turkey, I decided to attempt to organize a (non-profit) film festival, initially in Istanbul.

My goal is to show people what's going on in the world: how the system we live in is not sustainable, how the Earth is raped by outrageous acts of individuals, governments, corporations every day but also how another way is possible, what gives us hope, how communities are reempowering themselves to protect the Earth and life, how we each can make a significant difference, how the new system is trying to emerge from underneath the debris of the old system. Here I have the image of a new sprout (which is what my name - filiz - means in turkish actually) is raising its head gently but fiercly through the debris of the mechanic world)

I would like to invite you help us co-create this.
here are my inquiries:

1. do you know any groups, individuals who are film makers, directors, any film production companies or organizations that might be interested in supporting this kind of film festival?

2. do you know any organization that might provide funding for this kind of work?

3. we are looking at short films and documentaries that could be in a wide variety of topics under the sustainable living heading. I made a list of possible themes, please see them below.

Can you recommend some documentaries within the sustainable living framework that really touched you and changed the way you think, see, feel and act? your recommendations are immensely important. Please share these films with us. to help your thinking, you can take a look at the list I made below. do you also see a thread that is missing in that list?

Mechanical World
Ecology
water
Food/agriculture
Health
Energy
Education
Politics
Mining
Economics
Spirituality
Climate Change
Ecovillages
Systems thinking
Emergence of the new paradigm
Elegant Earth
Waste
Architecture / Green Building
Resistance&Resilience&Civil Disobedience
Social Change & Governance & Community
Urban sustainability
Design

THANK YOU!

No comments: