Friday, December 19, 2008

11th hour

there is something happening in the world. it's palpable, it's tangible, it's in the air. and it's intensifying on an accelerating rate. I sense it and I almost want to distill the essence of what I am sensing into words but words are not capable sometimes.

for some time we have been talking about the collapse of the system we live in, there were obvious signs for those of us who could read these signs. and now suddenly it all became very visible, very global. I just feel it intensifying all around me, all around us. the system is coming down, fast and furious, as my friend Debbie said. when I use the word "system", I don't necessarily refer to a political or economical system in particular, rather I mean the dominant mindset, the invasive way of living that's been consuming the Earth and all living beings. now that it's happening so fast and visible, what I have been seeing and expecting, it's somewhat overwhelming. of course it's not the kind prophecy that one would enjoy seeing it happening.
so then what?

"I knew it was coming" is not enough, not good enough. Although there is fear, people are also more willing to listen, we are more open to alternatives, new ways now more than any other time. more and more people are coming out of their denial and seeing the bigger picture, the web of relations, the causes and consequences. It's a great time to talk to one another before we face bigger challenges like peak oil or severe effects of climate change. This is actually a great opportunity to find our way back to our humanity, back to our place in the web of life along with all the other beings. Here in Istanbul as well, slowly we are building this community of people who dare to care about more than their income, possessions or power.
and this we need to do.

I end with one of my all time favorite poems which speaks our reality very well.



You have been telling the people that this is the Eleventh Hour.
Now you must go back and tell people that THIS is the hour.
And there are things to be considered:
Where are you living?
What are you doing?
What are your relationships?
Are you in right relation?
Where is your water?
Know your garden.
It is time to speak your truth.
Create your community.
Be good to each other.
And do not look outside yourself for the leader.
This could be a good time!
There is a river flowing now very fast.
It is so great and swift that there are those who will be afraid.
They will try to hold onto the shore.
They will feel they are being torn apart, and they will suffer greatly.
Know the river has its destination.
The elders say we must let go of the shore,
Push off into the river.
Keep our eyes open,
And our heads above the water.
See who is in there with you and celebrate.
At this time in history, we are to take nothing personally,
Least of all ourselves.
For the moment that we do, our spiritual growth and journey
Comes to a halt.
The time of the lone wolf is over. Gather yourselves!
Banish the word struggle from your attitude and vocabulary.
All that we do now must be done in a sacred manner and in celebration.

We are the Ones we’ve been waiting for.

- anonymous

No comments: